BOARD MTG MINUTES
Thursday, Sept. 25, 2003 » 3:30-4:05
Goals of the Post-baccalaureate Pre-Health Society (PPS) are to:
1) Provide a social network so that Post-baccalaureate Pre-Health students have a community within the U Penn campus to "feel a part of" the university. This category also entails creating a listserv or roster so that we (students) can come into acquaintance with each other before the first day of orientation and be able to contact each other for any concerns, roommate inquiries, questions, etc.
2) Provide professional involvement. Build stronger connections to the medical school, medical staff, physicians, faculty, etc and guide the students into making this connection. Create a bigger recognition to the Post-baccalaureate Pre-Health student on the U Penn campus and in doing so, perhaps even bring more recognition to the program.
3) Be a liaison between the Post-baccalaureate Pre-Health students, CGS office and Dr. Hunter as well the greater University.
4) Provide a stronger academic support to our students by forming a test bank, resource center (or further utilizing the one available to us ?), "textbook bank", tutorial services support (who to go to for help in certain classes, etc.).
1) We need to have a committee and liaison for each of the above goals in addition to having officers on the board. ALL AGREED.
2) It may be helpful to have liaisons from other organizations. ALL AGREED but specifics not discussed in detail.
3) Modeling the program after Georgetown's SMP and Bryn Mawr's Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical program by having rosters provided before meeting other classmates, having social events (previous to orientation and throughout the year) and studying together ("providing/creating" productive study areas). ALL AGREED.
4) MCAT testing prep (not sure of these specifics). ALL AGREED
1) Rick will get in touch with Dr. Hunter as soon as possible to keep her informed about our proceedings. He will also see if she will be available to make our first society meeting.
2) On Friday, September 26th, Chris and Neil will register the society.
3) On Monday, September 29th, Chris, Rick and Neil will write the constitution.
1) First Official Board Meeting: Thursday, October 2 at 3:30 in Houston Hall.
2) First Official Society Meeting: *(tentative)* Thursday, October 9. Tentative meeting detail will consist of the first half (Business half) before the Chemistry of the Brain lecture (Thursday 5-6:15pm)in a campus facility and the second half (Social half) at a social place to be determined.