Sunday, Sept. 28, 2003
Hello, Dr. Hunter.
I would like to introduce you to the Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Society (PPS) and its inaugural board members. As an newly formed organization, we have set five primary goals:
1) Provide a social network of students in the Pre-Health program and foster social cohesion and continuity within the student body;
2) Promote professional development events for our students in order to learn more about the health professions both academically and practically;
3) Be a liaison between the program's students and the CGS office, including Dr. Hunter;
4) Become a gateway between our program and the greater Penn community; and
5) Create an academic support network capable of providing a test bank, resource center, textbook library/exchange, tutoring services, and class/professor recommendations.
Five current students in the post-bacc program met to discuss the needs of the students and the goals to be met by the Society. In order to give birth to PPS and begin running programs, we have decided to assume the leadership positions. We are:
Co-president: Rick Kiok
Co-president: Neil Puri
Vice President: Marichris Ancheta
Secretary: Chioma Nkwocha
Treasurer: Asghar Rivzi
We are currently in the process of becoming recognized by the Student Activities Council (SAC). In that regard, we have begun to discuss a constitution and our first meeting. We have made plans to write our constitution, have our next Board Meeting (Thursday, October 2 at 3:30), and intend to have our first General Meeting on Thursday, October 9 consisting of a business meeting (3:30-4:30 at a campus location) and a social component (at a place TBD). We intend to send a message shortly to the Pre-Health listserv announcing our formation and the first general meeting.
We would like to invite you to join us for either our next Board Meeting in which we will discuss our constitution and the agenda for the first General Meeting or our inaugural General Meeting in which we will introduce ourselves and the society to the students, outline our goals, and hold elections for committee chairs. If you can make both meetings, we would love to have you.
Please note that while our name contains "Pre-health," we intend to be all inclusive of any students in the post-bacc program that intend to pursue careers in health professions and are not limited to those in the Pre-Health program.
We are all tremendously excited about the prospects for the PPS and hope that we can work with you to solidify Penn's post-bacc program as one of the premier programs in the country. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact any or all of us.